Site visit and pre-event location checklist for event managers. (Social media focus.)
Event planning starts with an idea…and a location. The location defines much of what’s possible at the event including size, style and cost. But it’s sometimes difficult to ensure everything is available for your media team who will be relying, at the very least, on good Internet access. Audio quality is high up the list along with staging and lighting that can, literally, elevate an event from group discussion to a quality presentation. We’ve done a number of site visits on behalf of customers and use the following checklist to make sure we’ve got everything covered in terms of multimedia. Feel free to use this list, available as a PDF download below, to help plan your next event.
For the event project manager
- What’s the format and feel? E.g. Local discussion, presentation, launch event?
- Audience numbers. Minimum and maximum. (Note fire regulations.)
- Presentation screen. Cable type. Screen presentation also in live stream?
- How will the presenters stand / sit? Be aware of decency and comfort.
- How many presenters? (Microphone selection depends on this.)
- Will the customer provide a floor manager for timings and communications. How?
- Graphics – Lower thirds. Logos. Images. Slides. Videos. Event posters prepared?
- Local video playback at location? (Think about usage rights for local, video and live stream.)
- Live stream replay in another location? (Live viewing?)
- Background music before event? License?
- Intro, warm-up and housekeeping speaker?
- Transfer of photos and videos from producers. How?
- Which social channels will be used.
- Live stream start time (Leave time for guests to sit and settle and be punctual.)
- Barrier free live stream considerations (audio-off options, live subtitling, post subtitling.)
- Image rights / model release. Bildrecht (Permission to record people in the room.)
- Internet participation (questions from Facebook, YouTube?) How is this managed?
- Timekeeping clock / timer / countdown.
- Feedback screen for speakers. (teleprompter or floor manager communications.)
- Refreshments for speakers.
- Make-up. Pre-event meeting.
General questions for location manager.
- Background will impact videos, images and live stream – Consider lighting, daylight-evening transition, advertising, screens, windows, plants.
- What noise can we expect during the event. (Air conditioning, road, other events, catering, drinks, casual discussion.)
- Is audience ambient noise important for live stream? (Generally not.)
- How will participants sit. (Stage, standing, high chairs.)
- Think about decency and comfort, for participants. Age / Gender / disability issues.
- Parking and security for participants and engineers, equipment delivery.
- Barrier free access for people with disability.
- What is the reception process. Coats, umbrellas.
- Minors allowed? Consider time and content, stage and cameras.
- Access for audience. (Good route, welcome hospitality.)
- Communication between teams. (Headsets required for voice.)
- Special housekeeping announcements? Fire safety, smoking, phone noises, toilets, catering.
Site Technical requirements for production team.
- Access for equipment setup. How. When. Security.
- How many people in the audience?
- Space required for production crew. (front of stage? rear of room? Mobility?)
- Space required for cameras and operators.
- Security of cameras and cable runs.
- Chairs / table / power / lighting for production crew.
- Accreditation / registration / security for access.
- Power for cameras and lighting.
- Local PA system. (Get tech contact information) What cables are needed for live recording? Balanced, unbalanced, cable length. Wireless audio test.
- Local microphones. Available? If so, what type and how many?
- Audience questions microphone?
- Local lighting system. (Get contact information.)
- Pre-event build time. (Local storage. What can be left in room?
- Internet test. Connection location. Firewall. Public internet use during event?
- Cellular capability at location. (LTE signal strength from multiple carriers.)
- Refreshments for producers.
Download this event checklist as a PDF.